Friday, July 07, 2006

Every Christian should be encouraging

I’m a person who thrives on encouragement. I really appreciate it when people encourage me. But what I want more than ever is for Christians to be more encouraging.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” (1 Thess 5:11)

Firstly notice that Paul assumes that his people are already being encouraging. Secondly notice that Paul encourages the Thessalonians to be encouraging even though they are already being encouraging. Thirdly the motivation for being encouraging is the fact that Christ died for us and saved us (see verses 9 & 10).

So I want to encourage you to be encouraging. How can you do this practically?

  1. Post encouraging comments on blogs
  2. Write someone a letter (by hand is best) tell them what you have noticed about them in their Christian walk.
  3. Take the time one Sunday to watch people when you see someone do something note it and go and thank them or tell them. When was the last time you thanked someone for reading the Bible, preaching etc.
  4. Be perceptive watch out for people who make an exceptional effort in non flashy way, seek them out and tell them how much their effort is appreciated.
  5. Pick a person at church pray for them everyday for a week then tell them on Sunday that you have been doing it for them.
supportMIKE wants YOU to be encouraging.

12 Comments:

Blogger The Borg said...

Excellent points, Mike.

For too long I think I have been resisting the Spirit in the matter of encouragement; coming up with crap excuses like I don't know what to say to people and that I'm afraid of coming across as insincere. I guess the converse is that Christians need to be less judgemental of each other's efforts or social ineptness and just take encouragement for what it is.

July 07, 2006 6:45 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

I am not known to give any encouragement at all, but I should.

But first I guess I should find out what peoples jobs are. Otherwise it would be like "well done for making the cake Mary", and she would be like "I didn't make the cake, and the names Kate. I only work here".

That's my biggest fear. I guess I should just roll with the punches, be more assertive rather than say nothing.

July 07, 2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Great post Mike!

July 07, 2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

Totally agree Mike. Sometimes I think we are all guilty of assuming someone else is doing it.

July 08, 2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger JK said...

Yeah I agree, i think point 4 in your pratical tips is very good. I think Sometimes people who do have smaller roles in serving the church can get over looked. Its good to encourage these people as well, as you said.

July 08, 2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger The Librarian said...

I agree Mike. I like all your points.

Another thing is to do acts of service. Espcially families and mums find acts of service are totally encouraging!

Offer to pick mums up for bible studies, ( they may not have the car that night, or or something).

Or to do some shopping for them.

If you can bake or cook, offer to do that. ( burnt stuff I would imagine to be discouraging;))

Other things we can do relates to knowing people better.

Take some time to get to know someone's gift ( art, singing, organising, administration) and praise and encourage them in it. Talk about how what they are good at fits in to their obedience to God.

Thank people for serving you! Some people are encouraged by serving other people!

July 08, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Sherrin said...

Thanks for these tips on growing in encouragement.

July 10, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Calico_Rabbit said...

They are FANTASTIC, Mike! I'm gunna print them out and stick em on something so I remember them...My head? Nah...will only be able to read them backwards in the mirror (...sorry, silly mood :D ) I especially like the prayer one - much better than saying you *will* pray for someone and then not meeting the promise.

July 10, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

Good word. Thanks for being an encouragement to us, both through this post and through your evident passion for people (the kids you teach, your unbelieving friends,etc.). God is using you.

I'm like "the borg": so many times I can see or offer encouragement as a "nicety" rather than a sincere acknowledgement or word of appreciation. Regardless, however, I was just remembering the other day something I heard once---there are so many negative and critical messages coming at all of us (from inside our own heads or from other people or from the media) all day, every day that we need all the positive encouragement we can get. And it's true!

July 13, 2006 1:08 AM  
Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Where are you mike???

July 14, 2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger jeltzz said...

i encourage mike to write another post, 'cause his blog is fully hectic and encourages me all the time.

July 14, 2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I encourage Mike to write another post too.

July 14, 2006 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home